Entrance Loan Counseling
As a University of Chicago student borrowing loan funds, you are required to complete the entrance loan counseling process before your student loan funds can be disbursed. You only need to complete this requirement once during your enrollment at the University.
2021-22 Loan Instructions and Applications
To borrow a Federal Direct Stafford Loan:
- Complete the 2021-22 Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid. The loan limits, based on class year, are as indicated:
- 1st Year: $5,500 in a Direct Stafford Loan, of which no more than $3,500 can be Subsidized
- 2nd Year: $6,500 in a Direct Stafford Loan, of which no more than $4,500 can be Subsidized
- 3rd or 4th Year: $7,500 in a Direct Stafford Loan, of which no more than $5,500 can be Subsidized
- For more information, visit the Loans page
- Complete the electronic Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note available on the Student Aid website***
- Complete the Entrance Counseling available on the Student Aid website
To borrow a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid*
- In June or later, complete the PLUS Application and obtain a PLUS credit approval online **:
- Sign in at StudentLoans using your Department of Education Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). A family member must sign in using his/her FSA ID rather than the student’s FSA ID.
- Select "Parent Borrowers" and then Apply for a PLUS Loan" from the menu.
- Follow the instructions and indicate the amount that you wish to borrow for the 2021-22 academic year. You will be given an immediate response as to whether you are approved or denied.
- If approved, follow the instructions to complete the Master Promissory Note***
- If denied, you have four options:
- Use an Endorser (creditworthy cosigner)
- Appeal the PLUS denial by contacting the Student Loan Support Service Center at 800.557.7394
- Take no action
- Have the student borrow additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds (amount to be determined by Financial Aid with the maximum of $4,000 for first- and second-year students and $5,000 for third- and fourth-year students).
Please note: If a PLUS loan is denied, and the borrower chooses to pursue option one or two, the borrower must also complete PLUS Entrance Counseling.
If you wish to adjust the amount that you previously requested, please contact Financial Aid at 773.702.8666 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*In order to review your eligibility for this program, we must have a completed FAFSA before we can certify a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. If you have not done so already, please complete the FAFSA online using your and your family’s FSA IDs as your electronic signatures. To request duplicate or new FSA IDs visit Student Aid's FSA ID page. The FAFSA code for the University of Chicago is 001774.
**The credit approval is valid for 180 days, so we urge you not to complete the PLUS Application until early June. However, if you are concerned about being approved, we suggest that you complete the application before then and immediately contact our office.
***Complete the MPNs online using your Department of Education FSA ID. When completing your MPN online, you must “sign in” using your FSA ID. The Stafford MPN must be signed with the student’s FSA ID, and the Parent PLUS MPN must be signed with the family member’s FSA ID. When completing your MPN online, select “UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO (THE)” as your school.