Food and Housing

The College Houses at the University of Chicago feature close-knit communities of students from a variety of backgrounds and academic interests, fostering vibrant conversations and personal support for residents. For more information on residential life on campus, please visit College Housing.

Food & Housing Allowance

There is a single food & housing allowance added to the cost of attendance of every UChicago student. This amount represents what students typically spend for food & housing and is not individualized for each student. Changing dorms or choosing a more or less expensive meal plan will not change your financial aid. For example, if a student switches to a single room at a higher cost, financial aid will not increase to cover the additional expense.

To view current housing and dining rates along with important dates, click here

Moving Off Campus

Students can choose to move off campus after their second year in the College. This presentation explains how moving off campus may affect your financial aid. Please select picture-in-picture mode to enlarge the video.

Moving Off-Campus

Following their first two years of enrollment, during which on-campus residency is mandatory, UChicago students have an expanded amount of living options. Students who remain on campus for housing have the option to switch residence halls as well as adjust their meal plans. Students also have the opportunity to pursue off-campus housing. Below are a couple of key pieces of information regarding a change of living situation as it pertains to financial aid.

The cost of attendance at UChicago consists of tuition and fees, food and housing, and books and personal expenses. When a student moves off campus, the on-campus food and housing component of his/her cost of attendance is replaced with an off-campus living allowance. Because it is generally less expensive to live with a few roommates off campus, the off-campus living allowance is approximately $4,200 less than the on-campus budget (for 2023-2024). Families should not be concerned that they will need to pay more if their student no longer lives in the dorms. The family and student contributions are determined in the same manner, regardless of the type of housing the student chooses. However, since the University grant is the last form of aid to be awarded, students who reside off campus will receive approximately $4,200 less than those residing on campus.