Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations require all graduate students who receive Title IV federal aid (loans, work-study and grants) to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward completion of their degree in order to continue receiving federal student aid.

Title IV federal aid that fall within these guidelines:

  • Federal Work-Study

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

  • Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans

  • Federal TEACH Grant

Three components to maintaining SAP includes:

  • Maintaining an acceptable, cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 or the minimum required by the division/school for graduation, whichever is higher

  • Completing a minimum of at least 66% of all attempted cumulative units (whether units count towards degree or not)

  • Successfully completing degree-required coursework within 150% of the normal time frame allotted by the division/school

Students who fail to earn at least one passing grade in a given Quarter:

If you receive Title IV federal aid, and you fail to earn at least one passing grade in at least one enrolled course, you are considered unofficially withdrawn for Title IV federal aid purposes. Graduate Financial Aid must cancel and return 50% of the Title IV federal loans and/or TEACH grant funds you received. If the return results in a balance due on your tuition bill, you must pay the outstanding charges immediately. Grades must be submitted and posted to the University’s Registrar system within 30 days following the last day of the quarter.

Please review the entire Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy here.