Receiving Funds

How you receive funds varies for different forms of funding that you are eligible to receive. Please see below the differences in how various forms of aid are delivered to you.  

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study is disbursed to you via a paycheck as your hours are worked, and is not paid directly to your account in the Office of the Bursar.

As you search for a Federal Work-Study job, it may help to have your Employment Authorization Form available to verify your eligibility. Your potential employer will request the form.  Please email if you have questions about the Employment Authorization Form or on how and when your payroll check will be delivered.

If you have eligibility for Summer Federal Work-Study you may work from the first day of the Summer quarter and continue through the last day of the Summer quarter.

If your Federal Work-Study begins with the Autumn quarter, you may start work as early as the first day of the quarter and continue through the last day of the Spring quarter (or the date when you cease enrollment for the year, whichever comes first). Please consult our Federal Work-Study page for more details about this program.


Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Grad PLUS Loans are sent directly from Department of Education to the University and applied to your bill one week before the start of each quarter. Most alternative loan funds are sent to the University via an electronic disbursement method and applied to your tuition account. 


Students receive a refund when financial aid disbursements exceed a student's university bill. Tuition and fees as well as financial aid disbursements can fluctuate for a variety of reasons (change in enrollment, change in institutional scholarships and grants, etc.). Confirm your refund is correct before expending any funds. Students are encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit. Learn more about signing up for Direct Deposit and receiving your refund.