How do I submit documents for financial aid review?

Documents should be submitted via upload to your My.UChicago portal. Please note that we cannot accept documents containing Personal Identifiable Information (PII – i.e. social security number, birthdate) via email. This includes documents such as tax returns and W-2 forms.

If you are unable to upload documents to the My.UChicago Portal, please send them via fax, mail, or bring them to our office in person

What is a Priority Deadline?

A priority deadline is the date by which the Office of Financial Aid advises student to submit their financial aid documents in order to have their aid package in place by the release of the first bill. Submitting documents after the priority deadline will not affect your eligibility for financial aid, nor will it reduce the amount of aid you may receive. But you may not have your financial aid package in place when the first bill is released.

When will my financial aid disburse?

If all of your outstanding requirements have been met and you have been notified of your financial aid package, your aid will disburse up to 10 days prior to the first day of classes each quarter. It will first apply towards any outstanding balances you may have. If all of your outstanding balances have been met and there is still financial aid left over, you will receive a refund.

What happens if I decide to move off campus? How will this affect my financial aid package?

The Office of Financial Aid uses different food and housing costs for the different housing arrangements. The total cost estimate for an off-campus resident is approximately $4,300 less than that for a University housing resident. This is because the costs for off-campus housing are typically lower than those for on-campus housing. Since UChicago meets student need up to the total cost of attendance. Students who reside off campus will have financial aid that is approximately $4,300 less than those living on campus.

Additionally, your bill will no longer include charges for food & housing. The Office of the Bursar will bill an off-campus resident only for tuition and the student life fee. If the credits to your account (e.g., University of Chicago Grant funds, outside grants and scholarships, student loans, family contribution) exceed charges, you will receive a refund to help pay for rent, food, and other living costs.

Will my financial aid cover if I choose on-campus housing with higher costs?

Financial aid will not increase when a student chooses a housing & food option that has a cost greater than standard/double occupancy (i.e. single room, apartment meal plan, etc.).

What is the difference between Federal Work-Study and Student Employment?

Federal Work-Study is a need-based federal program that is based on the family’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC, as determined by the FAFSA). If a student’s EFC is outside the range of eligibility for Federal Work-Study, their package will include Student Employment. Students are able to work regardless of which is included in their package, however some positions do require Federal Work-Study eligibility.