Other Sources of Aid

UChicago Advanced Scholars (4+1) Program

A master’s degree from the University of Chicago is a gateway to professional and personal success. UChicago’s Advanced Scholars “4+1” graduate programs allow you to gain additional credentials to complement your college degree. Take your career to the next level by becoming a UChicago Advanced Scholar and graduate with a bachelor’s and master’s degree, typically in five years.

While master’s programs are most often funded through student loans, as a UChicago College graduate, we are pleased to guarantee a $5,000 scholarship as an Advanced Scholar. Some graduate divisions may have scholarships available as well; please contact the dean’s office of your program for more information on divisional funding.

The Graduate Financial Aid team is here to help you navigate through your loan questions, lend guidance on best resources, and assist with Federal Work-Study eligibility. We realize graduate aid looks very different than undergraduate aid and we are here to help you supplement any scholarships you may receive. While the word “loan” can sound daunting, borrowing student loans can help establish good credit, especially if you have little to no credit history. Without a doubt, the time and investment in yourself as an Advanced Scholar will enhance your marketability once you leave UChicago! Please visit the Types of Aid section of our website to learn more about the typical forms of financial aid made available to graduate students.

More information on eligible programs and application information may be found on the UChicago Advanced Scholars (4+1) Program page on the Career Advancement website.

UChicago Tuition Remission

If you are a staff member who receives tuition remission, you must contact your Human Resources Office and apply for remission each quarter for which you are enrolled. Once your application has been processed by the benefits office, the Office of the Bursar will credit your bill for the amount of your remission. Any questions about an application, the amount of remission, or payments for employees should be emailed to your University of Chicago Human Resources team.

Institutional Scholarships and Grants

A student’s graduate division determines the amount of any scholarships, grants, fellowships, and assistantships. For more information about divisional funding and aid, please contact the dean’s office of your program.