The Application Process

To apply for need-based financial aid at the University of Chicago, you must submit a few documents that will allow us to most accurately review your family’s financial situation: the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the UChicago Financial Aid Worksheet (or optional CSS Profile). You can access the UChicago Financial Aid Worksheet through your MyUChicago portal.

When submitting any additional required documentation (besides the FAFSA and UChicago Financial Aid Worksheet), please upload them to your MyUChicago Portal (UChicago Account for prospective students). It typically takes 48-72 hours for submitted documents to show as "Received" on your MyUChicago portal.

While the FAFSA is used to determine Federal Student Aid, you may need to complete additional documents if you would like to apply for a student loan. We ask that you submit these documents annually because we know you may want to borrow different amounts each year. Visit the loan applications page for detailed instructions concerning the student loan application process.

Documents Required for Financial Aid Review

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

  • UChicago Financial Aid Worksheet (or optional CSS Profile)

  • Parent prior-prior year tax returns (for 2024-25 use 2022 tax returns)

  • Parent prior-prior year W-2 forms

Please upload all required documents to your MyUChicago Portal

General Tips

We strongly urge you not to use email as a means of delivering sensitive information due to the lack of security. It is okay to list your UChicago student ID if you have one, along with your first and last name in an email message. However, as an added precaution, do not list your social security number in the body of emails, or any document you may attach to an email when corresponding with our office.

In Addition, please comply with the tips below:

  • Bring your student ID (with photo) each time you visit Financial Aid. 

  • Respond immediately to any correspondence from the University of Chicago, your loan servicer, or your lender. Your funds may be placed on hold or withdrawn if any of the additional information requested from you is not provided promptly.

  • Be very careful to provide all requested information when completing loan applications.

  • Report in writing the receipt of any financial assistance not offered through Financial Aid, including receipt of departmental or outside agency fellowships. Outside scholarships count toward meeting your financial need. If additional university assistance or outside assistance puts you in an “over-funded” status, your loan and/or Work-Study assistance may be reduced and/or you may be billed for amounts already received.

  • Be sure to tell your loan servicers about any change to your name or address. You are responsible for repaying all loans whether or not you receive bills requesting repayment. During your attendance at the University, you must update any name, telephone number, or address change at You may also be required to forward documentation of a name change to our office.

  • You may appeal a financial aid package if you believe it does not accurately reflect your current financial situation, or if your financial situation has changed substantially since you first submitted your application. Please start by completing the Special Circumstances Form

  • The University understands that the current global pandemic is affecting families financially. You can appeal for additional financial aid if your family has experienced a job loss, reduction of income or a loss of business income as a result of the COVID-19 situation. We encourage you to follow the instructions listed on the Special Circumstances Form and submit it to our office along with all relevant documentation. We will review your appeal and determine if any changes can be made to your financial aid package. Submission of an appeal does not guarantee an increase in financial aid. 

NOTE: As part of the release of financial information to a third party, you must authorize Financial Aid to discuss your financial assistance information with a third party (e.g., your spouse, parent, or landlord); otherwise, we cannot release information specific to your financial assistance without your written permission.