Work-Study and Employment

Student work is an important part of your financial aid award. Most students enjoy working while on campus, as it gives them a sense of community outside of the classroom. Students find jobs at UChicago’s on-campus hospital and in University museums, offices, libraries, and labs. Although you are expected to work to contribute toward your education, it is not mandatory. If you don’t work, you will not receive the work-related funding portion of your financial aid award. While working, you will receive a paycheck every two weeks, just like any other part-time job. How you use it is up to you. Many students will use the income earned to pay for books, supplies, and extracurricular activities. Some students help their parents pay the bill in the Bursar’s Office.

Work-Study Eligibility and Non-Work-Study Eligibility

If you qualify for financial aid, you may be awarded Federal Work-Study. The wages for work study eligible positions are subsidized by the government. As such, the income earned in these positions is considered financial aid, not income. If you are not eligible for the Federal Work-Study program, you will see “student employment” listed on your award letter. This means that you will need to find a job that does not require that you are Work-Study eligible. The Office of Student Employment has postings for both Work-Study and non-Work-Study positions, both on and off campus. Students may only work a maximum of 20 hours a week during the academic year, if employed through the Office of Student Employment.

If you are hired into a Federal Work-Study position, you must provide your employer with your Employment Authorization Form. This form is unique to you, details your Federal Work-Study award amount, and is required in order to be hired into a Federal Work-Study position. You can access your Employment Authorization form as follows:

  • Log in to your MyUChicago student portal
  • Click Finances > Financial Aid > Student Reports
  • Select “FWS Authorization Form” from the report drop-down and click “View Report” (make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled)

The form must be submitted to your employer before you can start working.

Summer Federal Work-Study

Students who are interested in participating in the Federal Work-Study program for the summer quarter must email Financial Aid. The email must include student name, student ID, and indicate interest in a Federal Work-Study program for the summer.

Please visit the Office of Student Employment to find a position that works with your strengths and availability.