Change of Living Situation

Following their first year of enrollment, during which on-campus residency is mandatory, UChicago students have an expanded amount of living options. Students who remain on campus for housing have the option to switch residence halls as well as adjust their meal plans. Students also have the opportunity to pursue off-campus housing. Below are a couple of key pieces of information regarding a change of living situation as it pertains to financial aid.

Room and Board Allowance

There is a single room and board allowance added into the cost of attendance of every student. This amount represents what students typically spend for room and board and is not individualized per student. Changing dorms or choosing a more or less expensive meal plan will not change your financial aid award.

Moving Off-Campus

The cost of attendance consists of tuition and fees, room and board, and books and personal expenses. When a student moves off-campus, the on-campus room and board component of his/her cost of attendance is replaced with an off-campus living allowance. Because it is generally less expensive to live off campus with a few roommates, the off-campus living allowance is approximately $3,000 less than the on-campus budget.

Families should not be concerned that they will need to pay more if their student no longer lives in the dorms. The family and student contributions are determined in the same manner regardless of the type of housing chosen. However, since the University grant is the last to be awarded, students who reside off-campus will receive approximately $3,000 less than those residing on campus.