Skip to main content

Aid Eligibility Criteria

Your eligibility for aid such as loans and Work-Study is based on several factors: your cost of attendance, assistance from other sources, and the criteria listed below. Before examining the criteria, you should bear in mind that U.S. citizens, nationals, permanent residents, and other eligible non-citizens of the United States enrolled in a degree-seeking program may apply for both Federal and non-Federal assistance. International students may apply only for non-Federal alternative loan funds. Ph.D. candidates in extended residence status are ineligible for both student loans (Federal or otherwise) and Work-Study. Graham School Students in non-degree-seeking programs, such as the Student-at-Large, Certificate, and the Summer Program, are ineligible for Federal assistance and may apply for an alternative loan only to cover tuition, fees, and books.

Criteria to receive Federal loan and Work-Study funds

You must:

  • Be a citizen, national, permanent resident, or other eligible non-citizen of the United States
  • Be enrolled at least half time (200 units or more) in a program leading to a degree 
  • Demonstrate Federal financial need (except for the Federal TEACH grant, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford and Graduate PLUS Loans)
  • Have a valid U.S. social security number
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as defined by your specific program as well as the Department of Education
  • Be in compliance with Selective Service registration, if you are a male
  • Not be in default on any educational loan and not owe a refund on a grant or a loan at any institution
  • Not have been convicted of certain drug offenses (see question 23 of the FAFSA for more details)
  • Comply with Federal regulations governing the use of funds for educational purposes
  • Be creditworthy, if applying for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan

Criteria to receive non-Federal, alternative loan funds

You must:

  • Be enrolled for each quarter that you wish to receive funds
  • Be a creditworthy citizen, national, permanent resident, or other eligible non-citizen of the United States. In most cases, you may apply without a cosigner or endorser. However, if not approved, you may wish to apply with a credit-worthy cosigner or endorser. Before applying for these funds, we encourage you to apply first for Federal assistance
  • Be an international student with an eligible cosigner or endorser. The cosigner or endorser must be a creditworthy citizen, national or permanent resident of the United States who meets the lender’s requirements

IMPORTANT: International students must have an F1, F2, J1, or J2 student or exchange visitor’s visa. A lender may require an international student to have a valid U.S. social security number in order to apply for an alternative loan.

Maintaining Eligibility

Federal regulations require all graduate students who receive Title IV Federal student aid (loans, work-study and grants) to make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward completion of their degree in order to continue receiving student aid.

Title IV Federal Aid That Fall Within These Guidelines:

  • Federal Work-Study
  • Federal Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized)
  • Federal Direct PLUS (GradPLUS) Loan
  • Federal TEACH Grant

Three components to maintaining satisfactory academic progress includes:

  • Maintaining an acceptable, cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 or the minimum required by the division/school for graduation, whichever is higher
  • Completing a minimum of at least 66% of all attempted cumulative units (whether units count towards degree or not)
  • Successfully completing degree-required coursework within 150% of the normal time frame allotted by their division/school

Students Who Fail To Earn At Least One Passing Grade In A Given Quarter:

If you fail to earn at least one passing grade for a quarter, the University must treat you as an unofficial withdrawal and return 50% of the Title IV funds disbursed to you. Grades must be submitted and posted to the University’s Registrar system within 30 days following the last day of the quarter.

If you receive Title IV Federal aid, and you fail to earn at least one passing grade in at least one enrolled course, you are considered unofficially withdrawn for Title IV Federal aid purposes. Financial Aid must cancel and return 50% of the Title IV Federal loans and/or TEACH grant funds you received to the government. If the return results in a balance due on your tuition bill, you must pay the outstanding charges immediately.

Please review the entire Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy here.

Financial Aid Logo

Please rotate your device