Budget Appeal

Financial Aid determines financial assistance based on the standard cost of attendance for a single student in a degree program. Under certain circumstances, you may be able to borrow additional funds if needed. Financial Aid may not be able to make adjustments to accommodate expenses that exceed the standard allowances by more than 15%. Read more.

In order to be considered, an expense must be incurred within your enrollment period and you’ll need to fill out the form for the appropriate year.

Summer 2017 – Spring 2018: Student Budget Appeal form

Please note the exception regarding computer purchases.

Expenses Not Covered by the Cost of Attendance:

  • Credit card bills and other consumer debt
  • Car purchases and payments
  • Moving expenses
  • Job search expenses
  • Expenses covered by insurance (e.g., medical)
  • Elective expenses (e.g., elective cosmetic surgery)

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks processing for additional loan requests.

Helpful tips on how to proceed with the Budget Appeal Process

  • If you’re a single parent or a married parent whose spouse works at least part-time, we can add reasonable daycare expenses for pre-kindergarten aged children to your cost of attendance.
  • As a one-time allowable adjustment to your cost of attendance, we will consider a reasonable purchase price, not to exceed $1,500, computer and printer. You must present an itemized receipt to Financial Aid documenting the purchase. We can only cover purchases during your enrollment period or 30 days or less before the start of your enrollment period for new students.
  • The University is not responsible for your car expenses and federal regulations specifically prohibit schools from including the cost of a car in the cost of attendance. If you absolutely need a car, there are some loans that aren’t based on financial need and you may be able to borrow additional funds that don’t exceed your cost of attendance to cover such extra expenses.
  • We cannot add your consumer debt to your cost of attendance. We recommend that you repay your consumer debt before you come to the University of Chicago. If this isn’t a financial option for you, you will need to adjust your living expense to accommodate these payments.
  • We cannot add the cost of moving expenses to your cost of attendance but if you need help, you may be able to borrow additional funds to cover such extra expenses. However, remember you can only receive additional funds as long as your total financial assistance does not exceed the cost of attendance listed on your award letter.
  • If your rent exceeds the $1,300 allowance, we recommend that you consider other living arrangements with the possibility of getting a roommate to reduce the cost or adjust your other expenses to accommodate the increased expense. Our office may be able to help you adjust the rent allowance portion of your budget, but this is usually possible only by a slight variation.

If you have other questions, please contact us.