Work-Study and Employment

Student work is an important part of your financial aid award. Most students enjoy working while on campus since it gives them a sense of community outside of the classroom. Students find jobs in the University museums, offices, libraries, labs, and at the hospital. Although you are expected to work to contribute toward your education, you will receive a paycheck every other week just like any other part-time job. How you use it is up to you. Some students help their parents pay the bill in the Bursar’s Office. Most students will use the income earned to pay for books, supplies, and extracurricular activities.

There are two types of job categories: Work-Study Eligible and Non-Work-Study Eligible

If you qualify for financial aid, you may be awarded Federal Work-Study. The wages for work study eligible positions are subsidized by the government. As such, the income earned in these positions is considered financial aid, not income. If you are not eligible for the Federal Work-Study program you will see “student employment” listed on your award letter. This means that you will need to find a job that does not require that you are work-study eligible. The Office of Student Employment has postings for both work-study and non-work-study positions, both on and off campus. Students may only work a maximum of 20 hours a week during the academic year if employed through the Office of Student Employment.

Summer Federal Work-Study

Students who are interested in participating in the Federal Work-Study program for the summer quarter must email the Office of College Aid.  Email must include student name, student ID, and indicate interest in Federal Work-Study program for the summer. 

Please visit the Office of Student Employment to find a position that works with your strengths and availability.