Mission of the Financial Aid Office
Financial Aid aims to ensure all admitted students have access to an affordable University of Chicago education. Whether undergraduate or graduate, our professional staff conduct comprehensive reviews of all aid applications and provide exceptional customer service to our students. For undergraduate students, we provide financial aid awards that combine University of Chicago grants and scholarships with federal and state grants to meet students' demonstrated financial need. Loans and student employment programs are also available, for students who wish to utilize those resources. For graduate students, we supplement any graduate division awards and/or outside recources by processing student loans and Federal Work-Study for students in the graduate and professional schools (except Booth and the Medical Schools, who have their own financial aid offices).
Undergraduate Financial Aid Philosophy
Unique among many institutions of higher education, UChicago’s College Admissions and Aid philosophies demonstrate our commitment to making your UChicago education affordable.
- College Admissions admits students without consideration of financial resources (need-blind admissions)
- We will meet 100% of admitted students’ demonstrated financial need, as determined by Financial Aid’s holistic financial aid review process
- We endeavor to award similar amounts of financial aid throughout College enrollment as long as you remain eligible, and your family’s financial position is relatively unchanged.
We continuously review financial aid programs and policies to ensure we:
1. Award financial aid in a fair and equitable manner
2. Provide financial aid programs that meet and respond to student needs
3. Comply with federal and state regulations
4. Simplify the financial aid application process
- International and Undocumented students are eligible for financial support as determined at the time of admission. Visit International Aid for more information
Graduate Financial Aid has four specific functions:
- We process student loans and Work-Study for students in the graduate and professional schools and divisions (includes the Graham School of General Studies and certificate program students), except Booth and Medical. Students at the Booth School of Business and the Pritzker School of Medicine should contact the financial aid office at their schools for more information.
- We conduct entrance and exit loan counseling for all students receiving federal student loans.
- We authorize disbursement of loan funds to all students receiving federal student loans.
- We service and collect for all institutional loan programs.