2016-2017 Loan Instructions and Applications:
To borrow a Federal Direct Stafford Loan
Complete the 2016-17 Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form. On this form, you must indicate the amount(s) you wish to borrow through the subsidized and/or unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan programs and submit it to the Office of College Aid using one of the following methods:
- Fax: (773-834-4300)
- Mail: Office of College Aid 1115 E. 58th Street Chicago, IL 60637.
- Complete the electronic Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note ***
- Complete Entrance Counseling
To borrow a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid *
In June or later, complete the PLUS Application and obtain a PLUS credit approval online **:
- Sign in at StudentLoans using your Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN). Note: The family member must sign in using his/her PIN rather than the student’s PIN.
- Select Request PLUS Loan from the menu on the left.
- Follow the instructions and indicate the amount that you wish to borrow for the 2016-17 academic year. You will be given an immediate response on whether you are approved or denied.
- If approved, follow the instructions to complete the Master Promissory Note ***
If denied, you have three options:
- Use an Endorser (creditworthy cosigner)
- Take no action
- Have the student borrow additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds (amount to be determined by the Office of College Aid with the maximum of $4,000 for first- and second-year students and $5,000 for third- and fourth-year students).
If you wish to adjust the amount that you previously requested, please contact the Office of College Aid at 773.702.8666 or 773.702.8655.
* In order to review your eligibility for this program, we must have a completed FAFSA before we can certify a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. If you have not done so already, please complete the FAFSA online using your and your family’s Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) as your electronic signatures. To request duplicate or new PINs visit the Official PIN site. The FAFSA code for the University of Chicago is 001774.
** The credit approval is valid for 90 days so we urge you not to complete the PLUS Application until early June. However, if you are concerned about being approved, we suggest that you complete it before then and immediately contact our office.
*** Complete the MPNs online using your Department of Education issued Personal Identification Number (PIN). When completing your MPN online you must “sign in” using the PIN that was assigned to you by the Department of Education. The Stafford MPN must be signed with the student’s PIN; the Parent PLUS MPN must be signed with the family member’s PIN. To request a new or duplicate PIN visit the Official PIN site. When completing your MPN online, select “UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO (THE)” as your school.