2017-2018 Loan Instructions and Applications:
To borrow a Federal Direct Stafford Loan
- Complete the 2017-18 Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form. On this form, you must indicate the amount(s) you wish to borrow through the subsidized and/or unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan programs and submit it to the Office of College Aid (Fax: 773-834-4300, E-mail: email@example.com)
- Complete the electronic Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note
- Complete Entrance Counseling
To borrow a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
In June or later, complete the PLUS Application and obtain a PLUS credit approval online:
- Sign in at StudentLoans using your Department of Education Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). Note: The family member must sign in using his/her FSA ID rather than the student’s FSA ID.
- Select "Apply for a PLUS Loan" form the menu under the "Parent Borrowers" tab.
- Follow the instructions and indicate the amount that you wish to borrow for the 2017-18 academic year. You will be given an immediate response on whether you are approved or denied.
- The credit decision is good for 90 days
- If approved, follow the instructions to complete the Master Promissory Note
If denied, you have three options:
- Use an Endorser (creditworthy cosigner)
- Take no action
- Have the student borrow additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds (amount to be determined by the Office of College Aid with the maximum of $4,000 for first- and second-year students and $5,000 for third- and fourth-year students).
If you wish to adjust the amount that you previously requested, please contact the Office of College Aid at 773.702.8666.